A very brief History of Sogeri
as drafted by Ken Watson in 1997, with later minor changes)

Educational institutions were first established at Sogeri in 1944 and since then has grown into one of the premier High Schools of Papua New Guinea.  The full history of the School from 1944 to 1994 has been described in detail in the book  "SOGERI, The School That Helped to Shape a Nation - A HISTORY, 1944 - 1994"  by Lance Taylor.  One of the attractions of this book is the collection of over 150 photographs; see the  Order Form  elsewhere on this web site.

In 1966 Sogeri and Iarowari High Schools were combined to form one Sogeri High School.  The junior classes, Forms 1 and 2 were at Iarowari campus and the senior classes, Forms 3 and 4 were at Sogeri campus.  In 1969 the school became a Senior (later 'National') High School consisting of Forms 5 and 6 with students drawn from all over PNG.  Iarowari then reverted back to its role as a full high school.

The schools are situated on the Sogeri Plateau in the foothills of the Owen Stanley Ranges.  This is approximately 40 km east of Port Moresby and 20 km  from the start of the Kokoda Trail at Owers' Corner.  An all-weather, sealed road now links the area to the capital, Port Moresby.

Up the hill.
Up the hill !
[Image from Ken Watson  -  please enlarge this photo in your browser to see the fine detail]

This road is now a far cry from the old dirt road well known by many staff and commercial enterprises who lived in the area in the early period of the schools development.  Veterans, who were stationed in the area during the 1939-45 period would remember the old road quite well !

Over the years many expatriate and local teachers have passed through the doors of the school, in the early years the majority being Australian with others from the United Kingdom, USA, Canada, New Zealand, India and other countries.

There have been four Reunions, the first being in May 1994 at Mulwala on the Murray River, the second in July 1997 at Nambucca Heads on the North Coast of NSW, the third in October 1999 in Maroochydore on the Queensland Sunshine Coast and the fourth in September 2002 in Canberra.

To return to main page: Sogeri Home Page